Are you wondering where to go to get information about issues affecting surviving spouses and families? Are you looking for a supportive, nonjudgmental group to assist you in learning and keeping up to date on benefits and legislation impacting our surviving families? Need a pick-me-up or to connect with others who share similar interests as you? Join the MOAA Surviving Spouses and Friends Facebook page!
Who can join? We have recently expanded our membership to include not only surviving spouses but also our families, military spouses, council and chapter surviving spouse liaisons, advocates, and others with an interest in issues that impact the survivor community, regardless of MOAA membership. Particularly in these times of COVID-19 restrictions, we all need a way to connect with others whom which we have common interests.
Is this a public or private group? This is a private group, and there are no fees or dues. You are required to answer a couple of brief questions and be approved by the administrators of the group to join. These questions are designed to ensure we provide a safe place to share information and connect with other like-minded people as well as protect the group from those who do not have a legitimate interest in our issues.
The group’s rules are simple, and members may be removed at the discretion of the administrators. Here are a few of the do’s and don’ts to remember:
- Do be kind and courteous; remember the Golden Rule and treat everyone with respect.
- Don’t attack someone else just because you disagree with them. We can disagree with one another but keep it respectful. Hate speech and bullying will not be tolerated and such comments will be removed.
- Do respect the privacy of the group. Comments made within this group are not to be shared outside of the group. Some of the discussions can be sensitive and private in nature, and it is important that we can trust each other. Files may also not be shared without the approval of the administrators. Posts within the page cannot be seen by the Facebook “friends” of others in the group, unless they are members of the group themselves.
- Don’t post sensitive information, such as your phone number, address, social security number, or bank account information. If you need advice that requires you to share this type of information, please privately contact the administrators for assistance.
- Do remember that “tone” is sometimes difficult to determine online. Stop and think before reacting negatively as you may have misinterpreted a comment or response. Remember that many of us are grieving, so please give a little grace.
- Don’t post about politics or political events. This page is apolitical and will not be used to promote any candidate or political party.
- Do feel free to contribute material to the site, provided it does not violate group rules. If you are unsure, please reach out to one of the Facebook group administrators.
- Don’t sell products or advertise your business. This is also not a dating site.
If you are a member of the group, you might have noticed more activity recently and even posts that are not benefit or surviving family specific. We intend this page to be not only an efficient way to disseminate information on benefits, proposed legislation, advocacy efforts, etcetera, but also a way for all of us to connect and uplift one another. Feel free to share an encouraging or funny meme and pictures of your loved ones and pets and post comments supporting each other.
Our group is expanding, and we would be happy to welcome more members. We would love to get to know each of you, and look forward to your comments on our page.
Send Us Your Feedback
We’d love to hear from you. Please let us know if this article was helpful by sending an email to email@example.com.