- Statewide: 4.45%
- Counties can levy an additional sales tax of no more than 8.5%
- Current average sales tax (with local taxes included): 9.526%
- Common Exceptions at State Level:
- Unprepared Foods: Exempt
- Utilities: Exempt
- Gasoline Tax: 38.41 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Diesel Fuel Tax: 44.41 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Unprepared foods and prescription medicine may be taxed at the local level.
Personal Income Tax
- Personal Income Tax Rate Range: Three brackets from 1.85% to 4.25% (on income over $50,000)
- Standard deduction: None
- Personal Exemption Allowance: $4,500. Dependent Exemption: $1,000
- Itemized Deductions Allowed?: Yes, subject to limitations
- Retirement Income
- Social Security: Exempt
- IRAs: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates*
- 401Ks/Defined contribution employer retirement plans: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates*
- Private pensions: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates*
- Public Pensions: Federal and state exempt
- Military Pay
- Active Duty Pay: Taxed to the extent included in federal Adjusted Gross Income; exempt up to $30,000 if serving outside state for 120 consecutive days or more
- Military Retirement Pay: Exempt
- Military Disability Pay: Exempt
- VA Disability Dependency & Indemnity Compensation Benefits: Exempt
- SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Exempt.
Income Tax Comments: *Taxpayers 65 and older may exclude $6,000 of retirement income. Federal income tax deductible.
- Local municipalities average .55% of the property's assessed value.
- Calculation of assessed value: 10% of fair market value
- Relief programs for:
- Owner-occupied: $7,500 of assessed value may be excluded.
- 65 and over/Disabled: Assessed value may be frozen if income is less than $100,000.
- Disabled Veterans: May receive an additional $7,500 reduction in assessed value if 100% service-connected disability.
- Personal Property Tax: Yes. Rates and exemptions vary.
Inheritance & Estate Taxes: None
Department of Revenue website: https://revenue.louisiana.gov/